Have you ever thought about why modern designers and repairmen use local lighting? The answer is very simple. One or two lighting fixtures cannot provide even illumination in all corners of the room. It will always be lighter or darker in some parts, and this may affect our eyesight, especially if it is a working area. For example, let’s analyze a kitchen where the furniture shades its cooking countertop. Here, without local lighting, or as it is commonly known spot lighting, it’s hard to get along.
Kitchen Lighting Ideas in 2020
Additional lighting with the help of spots, or spot lights is, so to say, a cheap idea, but not the best one. In most cases such backlight of the kitchen countertop is located on furniture, to be precise, on upper cabinets, which cannot guarantee high-quality illumination of a tabletop. To install them lower means to create additional problems for housewives, and to install them on the ceiling and try to illuminate the kitchen countertop by turning the inner part of the lamp is simply useless. People would just shade themselves from the light source, thus creating blackout areas.
The only solution, which itself comes into mind, is to install spot lights in the kitchen right under cabinets. Of course, large lamps cannot be installed here and likewise into the furniture: no one would like to damage his new kitchen units. So there is only one solution left, to use spots. Small railing spotlights would perfectly solve the urgent issue of backlighting kitchen tabletop.
This approach has just several cons. Firstly, it is the cost of such compact lights. With this money you can tape the kitchen with LED strip several times. Secondly, being too close to your eyes they may dazzle a bit, and regulating the direction of light lowers the illumination of this or that area.
Conclusion:this solution of the problem how to install kitchen backlight is not the most favorable.
How To Choose Kitchen Backlight: Light Bars
Not everyone knows what is light bars, but those who dealt with them on practice understand that this is also not the best solution for kitchen countertop backlighting. In fact, these are lamps, which provide for the use of tubular fluorescent lamps: they are both large and quite compact. They can be designed both for flush mounting and for outdoor installation. They shine perfectly and are installed quite simply, but in some way they spoil the overall picture of the room. Let’s just say that their appearance leaves much to be desired.
One more disadvantage of such local illumination systems is the cost of such under cabinet lighting. Judge for yourself, the smallest lighting fixture of such type having the highest aesthetic characteristics will cost you at least $10-15. And this is with its length of 300 mm. Now think how many such lights you need to have a well-illuminated tabletop. The greatest advantage of these fixtures is that they are simple to install, and the most important thing is that you can switch on and off each of them separately. As for their installation, such light bars are simply screwed to furniture, electrical power is supplied to only one of them (usually to the extreme light bar). They are interconnected by special short connectors that combine them into a single product.
Conclusion: this is a good solution, however it has significant disadvantages: non-attractive appearance and high cost.
Kitchen Splashback Backlighting: Advantages of LED Strip
Today, LED strip backlighting in the kitchen became iconic. As a matter of fact, when speaking of highlighting something, in most cases it refers to the LED strip. It has many advantages so that it can fully occupy this niche of repair and interior decoration. In particular, if we talk about the kitchen, or rather about its countertop, we can distinguish the following advantages of LED strips.
1. Compact size. In fact, this lighting fixture is lost against the background of bulky kitchen furniture and becomes almost invisible, at least until it is turned on.
2. With its small size, the LED strip is able to sufficiently illuminate the countertop and provide the housewife with good working conditions in the kitchen.
3. Low cost. Only a few tens of dollars can solve the issue of illumination of the kitchen countertop.
4. A variety of forms. LED backlighting can have either bright white or soft yellow and even colored light.
Hope that everyone knows that LED strip has low power consumption and is able to work almost forever. The weakest point of the LED backlight system is power supply, which quite often fails. If we talk about the advantages of this type of lighting fixtures, it won’t be out of place to mention its flexibility. You can highlight the kitchen countertop at anytime and anywhere. You can go the standard way, securing the strip under the hanging cabinets, or you can resort to non-standard options: for example, a glass splashback illuminated from the inside looks great in the kitchen. Such a miracle can be made using a special aluminum profile, which has equal space for the strip and for the glass itself. It turns out that the light going from the LEDs hits inside the glass. Scattering in it, it turns the glass into a single large lamp.
Kitchen LED Backlighting: Do It Yourself >We won’t stick specifically to the bottom of the cabinets or any other place, but consider the general principle of installing a LED strip with the question of where to stick it, you will figure it out yourself. In general, this installation technology can be represented in the form of three almost elementary stages of work.
1. Turn on the power. Here are just a couple of ins and outs. Firstly, you need to correctly determine the place of installation of the power supply. It is desirable that it has free access in case of replacement or repair. Secondly, this is the cable section. There is almost no power here, so you can use a minimum (0.75 squares will be enough). The ideal option is to power the LED backlight transformer from the power supply cable to the kitchen hood. You can also hide the power supply near it.
2. Stich the LED strip. It’s very easy. As a rule, the LED strip is equipped with a self-adhesive base, and all that needs to be done is to remove its protective film and stick the strip to the bottom of the wall cabinets. The only tricky thing of this stage of work is to correctly cut the strip. For this purpose, special marks are put on it in the form of white transverse stripes.
3. Putting it all together. There is only one tricky thing here, not to confuse the polarity. The kitchen LED lighting is powered by direct current, as a rule, the corresponding “+” and “-” markings are put on the strip. As for the power supply, the red wire is a plus here.
That’s all. Finally, completing the topic of kitchen lighting Ideas, we will add only one thing: when choosing a LED strip, it is better to choose products having silicone protection. The reason is trivial, the kitchen houses fat and soot, which settle primarily on the bottom of the hanging cabinets. To wash these contaminants from an ordinary strip is quite difficult and even more it may lead to its failure, and a silicone strip, on the contrary, can be washed both conveniently and safely.